NorthshoreRootsCommunity Tree
Cleveland Historical Society (Oswego County, New York)
First Name:  Last Name: 
[Advanced Search]  [Surnames]


» Show All     «Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 31» Next»     » Slide Show

18810101 - An Awful Disaster! The Cleveland Glassworks in Flames!

Cleveland Lakeside Press
01/01/1881, Article

An Awful Disaster: The Cleveland Glassworks in Flames!

January 1, 1881

Ed. Lakeside Pres.

Total Destruction of this Large and Prosperous Manufacturing Establishment, Involving a Loss of Probably $50,000, Throwing 100 persons out of Employment, and Blighting the Whole Community.

One Night?s Terrible Work.

   A dire disaster fell upon us Thursday evening, in the destruction by fire of the Cleveland Glass Works.  The alarm of fire was given about 6 o?clock.  It had originated in some way about the pot room, where a big fire had been made to keep the pots from freezing.  The flames gained such headway that at once the fire got beyond control.  A worse night for a fire it would have been impossible to have.  The wind, from the southwest, was simply terrific; and once the flames escaped from the pot room the terrible wind carried them on to the other buildings, and drove the sparks and burning shingles for more than a mile.  From the pot room the fire swept to the new factory, then to the old factory, next to the flattening room.  Millions of sparks were flying through the air, and some found their way into the barn, 40 rods away.  This immediately took fire, and was rapidly consumed, together with the barn adjoining, though fortunately 8 horses, a cow and calf were got out.  20 tons of hay, 600 bushels of oats and other feed was destroyed.

   Meanwhile the flames had extended from the flattening house to the cutting room, which, with the sheet room and packing room were under one roof.  The lime house, soda shed and sand house soon followed; and in one hour the entire lot of building, except the warerooms, were totally destroyed.  The house occupied by George Ingraham also caught from the barn, and was destroyed.  The house of George Baker took fire, but was extinguished.

   The loss is estimated at $50,000 which is probably two-thirds insured.  The loss of course, will fall the heaviest upon nearly 100 persons who found employment at the works.  It is not known whether the works will be rebuilt.?

Brief Notes

  • Johnny Kime thinks of going to Pittsburgh
  • H.A. Landgraff has gone to work at Syracuse.
  • Charley Long will go South, to Mobile, next week, to help build a glass factory.
  • Teamster Morenus must have been one of the most excited individuals at the fire.  It is reported he was trying to lead out a horse by the tail from the bara.
  • The fire was seen at Morrisville, Madison Co.
  • Since the fire Frank Haskins can't capture any more skunks around his premises.
  • George Lenning and Ike Ingraham have secure positions at Redwood.
  • Mrs. Carpenter's residence at Unionville, took fire from the flying sparks.
  • Pieces of burning shingles were found on the snow more than a mile away.
  • Joso Shindler's house caught fire twice on Thursday.
  • Tom Travis froze his ears and fingers while dipping up water.
  • Mr. Getman heartily thanks all who gave their services at the fire.
  • George Lenning fell off Ingrahams's house, but escaped without injury.
  • Lawyer Gallagher rendered valuable service on the roof of the warehouse.
  • Garret Audas was moving about with his hat on fire.
  • Tom Keogh's coat took fire and burned off one sleeve.
  • "Haus" Houser not only froze his ears, but a big spark stopped behind one ear and considerably burned it.

--- Lakeside Press, 01/01/1881

Owner/SourceCleveland Historical Society
Date1 Jan 1881
Linked toCleveland Glass Works, Cleveland, Oswego, New York; George Washington Ingraham (Residence)

» Show All     «Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 31» Next»     » Slide Show